The weather might be getting biblical outside my London window but I’m feeling uncharacteristically, almost moronically happy, and this song encapsulates that addictive feeling. I defy you to listen to this and not start jigging about like a dad at a wedding…or this:
Five Reasons To Be Happy This Weekend
- It’s Burn’s Night tonight. A legitimate excuse to swill whiskey, cut food with swords and slur along a toast to your dinner in your best (always terrible) Scottish accent:
Fair fa’ your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o’ the puddin-race!
Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o’ a grace
As lang’s my arm.
- It’s Australia Day tomorrow. If you’ve recovered enough from Burn’s night grab your closest Australian – there’s bound to be one near you – and celebrate this antipodean juggernaut. Failing that, put on some fancy dress and go on a pub crawl. Ripper.
- For more sunshine in your life, take a look at Vincent Van Gough’s iconic Sunflowers painting, which is on show at the National Gallery in Trafalgar until 27 April. To brighten your day even more, entry is completely free.
- Fun and laughter are practically guaranteed at the LOCO London Comedy Film Festival. It’s the final day on Sunday 26 January and they’re serving up a selection of short, silent, satirical comedy and sketch comedy with films and shows around London. Check the website for details.
- If you don’t fancy leaving the house, campy superhero Sci-Fi Flash Gordon is on Film 4 RIGHT NOW. Who doesn’t want to see a creative use of Lycra and a baddie called Ming the Merciless? Go go go.